Pages

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

DIY: maintaining a local webserver (technical difficulties)

image: illustration of computer repair
Computer woes, image found at Negative99
***
My machine is a dual boot system with Windows 7 and Ubuntu. I use Ubuntu to test web development before being released to a public server for further testing.  All has gone well for several years, except for disagreements between the clocks on each operating system (OS).

The best arrangement for a local web server is to mimic the setup on the hosting service or machine. Servers facing the internet that are Linux-based often use CentOS, a derivative of Red Hat which requires a paid subscription. Since Ubuntu has been developed to be user-friendly, I opted to use that. But my versions of Apache and MySQL agree with my host Bluehost. My version of PHP is in keeping with Drupal 7.

It's worth noting here that hosting companies often operate on older, known reliable, versions of software. Introducing new versions requires a lot of testing and there may be some users who can't upgrade for one reason or another.

All was going well until I clicked on the button to update Ubuntu to 14.04. Now I have a Linux OS that runs the next version of Apache, which is 2.4, a very different animal. (Far as I can tell, this new version of Ubuntu will only run Apache 2.4.) PHP is not currently working (still have to check to see if it's not turned on or not installed). Needless to say, my test sites no longer work.

So the questions at hand are--do I learn Apache 2.4, role back to Ubuntu 12.04, or migrate to CentOS? If I choose a rollback or migration, as with any major change in an OS, the current file system must be combed through to see what needs to be set aside and saved and to produce a list of what applications to re-install or substitute.

Still thinking it over.

-- Marge


No comments: