Pages

Monday, January 26, 2015

Art: some 2D animation for inspiration

image: artistic rendering of anime character Asuka Langley Soryu
Asuka Langley Soryu, sampaikini
***
There are so many ways to approach animation (a discipline/art form I'm trying to learn), that I find myself turning to works that I like for inspiration. In animation there's not only the artwork, but also storyline, voice, music, camera angles, and--maybe most important--motion and timing.

This one's my odds-on favorite. I love the sketchy, yet fluid style, transitions, now-you-see-it-now-you-don't effects and the song is lovely, too.
***
***

This one has a similar story, but very different style. Again I'm attracted to the wispy effects.
***
***

The backgrounds are really, really good in this film. And the story is fun--it reminds me of questing in an MMORPG.
***

***


This last film is a collection of scenes from a Japanese animated television series called "Neon Genesis Evangelion." In most of the animé/manga films I've seen the artwork is outstanding. If you'd like to get an idea of how dedicated its fans can be, here's a page listing the author's top ten favorite characters. The page will also give you an idea of the wide range in artistic styles. Keep in mind that some animé can be pretty riské by America's prudish standards.
***
***

To play these videos in sequence the playlist is available on YouTube.

-- Marge


No comments: