Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Free 3D textures and tiling a texture

Today I started my post wanting to share a site that offers free 3D textures and wound up finding a for-pay application that makes lovely textures.  Let's take a look.

Why 3D textures, you may ask.  They're helpful for people who work with 3D applications such as Maya, 3DStudio, Daz3D Studio, SecondLife, OpenSim, and so on.  They're also useful if you want a repeating pattern that looks realistic in artwork, as a background in a photo, or for your desktop.  Here's a picture of a dome I built in Second Life to which I added a custom pattern.

Second Life, Alchemy Lab
CG Textures is the site that offer 3D textures, free for both personal and commercial use.  In the tutorials section you can find one on tiling complex patterns.   The tutorial is written for Adobe Photoshop; but, if you know Corel PhotoPaint, you can translate the instructions to that application.

While looking for a Corel how-to on tiling textures, I found this guy (Chris Pirillo) recommending Repper. (He has a text feed going at the bottom of his video image, LOL.)


Repper looked intriguing so I searched it out and found that it's no longer free, but costs €29 (≈$43) via PayPal.  It works on both Windows and MAC.  Here's the demo

Still not satisfied with my offering of how to tile patterns, I found one more tutorial -- this one for open source Inkscape.   While this tutorial is about cloning radial patterns, there are many other ways you can use Inkscape's cloning tool.
 
 
-- Marge

1 comment:

Paul said...

nice texture. one of my favorite sources for the textures i use for my maya models is texturecase
textures

when doing 3d, one can not have enough textures.

cheers

alex