Pages

Wednesday, September 03, 2014

DIY: doodling

image: doodle art by GenerallySpeaking
GenerallySpeaking, Creative Bloq
***
Recently I've been working on getting back to doing artwork by hand, rather than digitally. The first step is getting my hand re-trained by sketching.  Because of a tendency to go blank as the blank piece of paper in front of me, I've enlisted the aid of a book found on Amazon, Keys to Drawing with Imagination by Bert Dodson ($22.26).

In using the book, I was surprised me that Dodson referred to the work at hand as doodling. To me doodling is what you do when you're on the phone or in a meeting.  As an aside, here's an article--"Why you should doodle in meetings"--that has some interesting tidbits.

A study by Jackie Andrade, psychologist, revealed that doodling helps you retain information.  Quoting from the paper "What does doodling do?:"
Doodling is a way of passing the time when bored by a lecture or telephone call. Does it improve or hinder attention to the primary task? To answer this question, 40 participants monitored a monotonous mock telephone message for the names of people coming to a party. Half of the group was randomly assigned to a ‘doodling’ condition where they shaded printed shapes while listening to the telephone call. The doodling group performed better on the monitoring task and recalled 29% more information on a surprise memory test. Unlike many dual task situations, doodling while working can be beneficial. Future research could test whether doodling aids cognitive performance by reducing daydreaming. (Copyright # 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.)
According to a number of writers, doodling is a creative process. Wikipedia's entry on doodle says,
A doodle is an unfocused or unconscious drawing made while a person's attention is otherwise occupied. Doodles are simple drawings that can have concrete representational meaning or may just be abstract shapes.
Seems to me, anytime you pull expression from below the surface (the unconscious), you are touching the wellspring of creativity. From "A Journey into Chaos: Creativity and the Unconscious," published at the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), there's this:
Describing their subjective experiences, creative people say the same things repeatedly:
“I can’t force inspiration. Ideas just come to me when I’m not seeking them-when I’m swimming or running or standing in the shower.” “It happens like magic.” “I can just see things that other people can’t, and I don’t know why.” “The muse just sits on my shoulder.” “If I concentrate on finding the answer it never comes, but if I let my mind just wander, the answer pops in.” (Andreasen, 2005.)
For some examples of artistic doodling, check out "48 great examples of doodle art."  Three of the pieces are posted here.
***
image: doodle art by Fred Blunt
Fred Blunt, Creative Bloq
***
image: doodle art by Faith Georgia
Faith Georgia, Creative Bloq
***

It seems that being more creative requires keeping paper and pencil handy.

-- Marge

No comments: